Sunday, November 13, 2011

Should students use phones in the classroom?

The big debate in schools is should students use technology in the classroom? I have meetings monthly on the problems of students texting, playing games in the class and not being on task. Should a student bring their laptop, Ipad or other technology to the class? The goal of the school is learning. I want my students to learn the concepts and have skills to succeed in the workplace. I want my students successful in college. How can technology be used as a positive force in the classroom?

I have my students use their phones as a calculator, for research looking up economic statistics and notes online. I have students answer text polls with other people. I will be giving students apps for android to use in the classroom: edmodo, diigo, and sites from NCEE. I want students to use their phones to take pictures of notes, assignments and what is done in class. The next step is to have students use their phone pictures in class. To have them discuss and use the information that they have.

I want my students to use twitter and blogs in the classroom. They will use outside of the class but inside the class can work wonders. Having students collect and find information on topics and sharing the information will help all students.

I am learning to use more technology in the class. I am engaging students in personal finance and politics and technology can help in many ways.

Any comments or thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment