Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Do We Even Try to Debate Liberals and Conservatives?

The latest PEW study from Yale University and other reports shows that conservatives are unlikely to look at facts about issues. When confronted with O'bama's birth certificate, data on climate change, evolution, regulations, Iran, tax policy conservatives keep chanting the same mantra. Yes they here it on Fox News, Rush and all over the radio. But given facts and data, these do not sway conservatives but only hardens their resolve. Liberals and many independents will look at facts, the information and change opinions. I have looked at data about our food, about climate science and other issues and made changes in my opinion. I try to look at all sides and yes there are good points to free enterprise, capitalism, corporations and Republicans. Considering my parents, grandparents, and most of my family are Republicans I do understand researching information and coming to my own conclusions. It seems that conservatives do not. When you see other points of view on Fox there is a lot of yelling over each other and facts do not seem to matter. I keep seeing lies printed about Obama, Democrats and now Iran with Mitt Romney in his OPED piece about Iran is builing a bomb. Facts do not matter. So the question is, do I try to demabe a conservative? Do liberals go on Fox knowing it won't change minds? How does the discourse change or will it? It is great to know these facts and approach people with the knowledge. I currently will ask a person if they think Obama is a citizen and if they hesitate or say no, not sure, etc, then I will not engage in a conversation with them. Is this bad? I know there is no use. So, the question is, Do we try to talk? Do the facts matter?

No comments:

Post a Comment