Saturday, May 7, 2011

Union Bashing-why?

Union bashing is in style through out the country. It makes no sense to me. It goes against people's best interests. While there might be abuses in the past, most of the comments and reasons just go against reason. If anyone has a Saturday or Sunday off (two days during the week) thank your union representative. If you get paid overtime, thank your union. If you get sick pay, vacation pay thank a local union. The list goes on and on that most worker benefits come from union activity. Union workers make more than 30% of non union workers and get better benefits. So, the idea is to bring unions down? In a country that celebrates people making more money and getting rich, why do people want to bring people down? Government workers make too much money? No way, I say non union workers make too little money. Non union workers have poor benefits. Instead of bringing others down, we need to bring all workers-private, government up and make more money, have better benefits. Yes, I pay dues-$592 a year and that is probably not enough. Can I negotiate as well as my union alone? No way. Do I have time and resources to get more salary, more benefits, no I would just take what the boss offers. If the offer is too low, what are my options. A union provides options and numbers on your side.The benefits of a union are so much, but the press is so negative. People are negative with unions. It makes no sense to me. Support unions today. Hug a union member. Join a union. Ask others at work about a union.

No comments:

Post a Comment