Sunday, May 25, 2014

White priviledge

I have had a difficult life and nothing is easy. I live paycheck to paycheck. I work 80 hours per week and have little savings. I work to support my family. My priviledge is underneath the surface but there. I am a white, male, 53 and Protestant. I am not angry and I acknowledge my priviledge. When I notice that a majority of people are white it means I am comfortable and at ease. At worst my situation is neutral.

1) when I go to a store I am greeted by white employees as a majority and a majority of the customers are white.
2) when I apply for a job, the people responsible for hiring me are a majority white.
3) at work a majority of the employees are white. I have had one job where I was the only male but all employees were white.
4) when I watch tv the majority of characters are white
5) when I watch a movie a majority of the characters are white.
6) when I go to a restaurant a majority of the servers and employees are white.
7) when I go to a restaurant a majority of the customers are white.
8) when I go to court the judges, bailiffs and clerks are marjority white.
9) when I have had contact with the police they are a majority white. I do not think I have ever dealt with a minority police officer. My dealings with police have been respectful.
10) when I walk at stores like a mall or shopping area a majority of the people are white.
11) when I move to nice areas and look for places to live a majority of the owners are white.
12) when I look for housing a majority of realtors and landlords are white.

I have only been to a bar in downtown Bridgeport Ct where I was the only white person there and all of the servers and customers were black. Since I was with a regular I felt safe but all eyes were on me. I left outside and not welcome. 

I have worked in offices in Bridgeport where I was the only white person, but I was in management and in charge. The customers and employees treated me with respect and I would go home and was in the majority.

The majority of my life I have been treated with respect and have been comfortable in dealing with people. I have not been subject to harassment or pulled over for being white. I have no negative stereotypes about me. I have not had any extra roadblocks or hurdles put in my way. I can compete because I am in the majority.

I know there are more instances where I am privileged. This is just a beginning of my knowing of my priviledge.i am not sorry about this but recognize this and look to show others th same.






No comments:

Post a Comment